Monday, May 25, 2020

Dianne Krogh - An Interview in the HBS Author's Spotlight

Today our blog puts the Spotlight on Contemporary Author Dianne Krogh. She writes Saga novels.

Author: Dianne Krogh

Author Genre: Contemporary, Fiction, Saga

Website: The Authors Pub
Author's Blog: The Authors Pub
Twitter: @kroghdianne
Goodreads: Check Out Goodreads
Facebook: Check Out Facebook

Amazon Author Profile



Author Description:
I’ve always loved words. Their power to elicit emotion. To tell a story. To create understanding. Or to persuade. I’ve used them for all those things over the years.

After getting a degree in journalism and a master’s degree in communication, I spent many happy years writing advertising copy, producing corporate communications, and creating publications for clients of my public relations group.

Now with time to let the words flow in whatever direction my mind takes me, I have published my first novel, Life in a Peacock Nest.

My mind is off on another journey already. So, I am working on a new book. Stay tuned.


SPOTLIGHT Questions and Answers with the Author

Congratulations on your book: Life in a Peacock Nest. What do you have on the drawing board next?

A light-hearted novel dealing with death and regret. (It won’t be as depressing as it sounds. I obviously need a better descriptive line, but that is the topic.)

You have a great cover for Life in a Peacock Nest. How did your book cover creation process work?

I have done a lot of graphic design, but never a book cover. But I applied the same concept: First selected a type face that I felt reflected the somewhat light-hearted tone of the book. Chose an art element (peacock feathers) that related to theme and then a background color that was best for the art element. Finally, I created the primary image - Man in Mysterious Doorway - to convey the evil that lurks in the main character.

Do you belong to any reading groups? Do they help you with feedback about your novels, provide reviews and increase sales? How can readers find you there?

Not yet. My next project is to get involved with groups.

Between your book writing, marketing, family and all the other things that can get in your way, how do you manage your time? Do you have a set schedule or do you sort of play it by ear?

I have always worked. I had to put in whatever time was required to deliver clients’ projects on time and still have my family time. That did, at times, require long hours. I usually work based on priority. The most critical tasks get my attention first. If nothing is on fire, I prefer, as you say, to play it by ear.

With your vast experience writing advertising copy and communications, how do you plan on starting your book launch process for your new book? Give a brief outline of the steps you go through to get your book to market.

I’m not really an outline sort of person. I always gave clients a plan that started with a goal and a stage one. Then, after implementation of stage 1, we would evaluate results and formulate step 2.

Marketing a book is new to me. So, I will begin with a goal and a step 1 and take as much advice as I can get from people who probably know more than I do on the subject.
Here is the Goal and Step 1

Goal:

• Make my book a best-seller. Be an Oprah Book Club pick. Go on the Today Show.
• (Or skip to Step 2 goal: sell enough books to make it worthwhile to write another one.)

Step 1:

• Gather ideas from people who have experience in marketing books.
• Begin Social Media marketing with contacts and sharing.
• Maintain a website that brings people back repeatedly through fresh, changing content relevant to my audience.
• Take advantage of every opportunity to meet with people.
• Produce discussion questions for book clubs to use and attempt to market to book clubs.

What is your primary genre? What has been your best marketing approach to this group?

Novel. A saga. Just ready to start marketing.

My next book will be a more contemporary novel. Probably not a saga.

How do you manage your plots, characters and timelines to keep your stories going? Do you use any software to keep track of your books?

Here is where I use an outline of content. As for the characters, I just try to let them live in my mind. I envision the character and just let that image take me where it goes when I drop them into the outline event. I use no tracking software.

Being a self-publisher myself, I have to ask this question. How does doing everything yourself work out? Do you outsource any of the process?

Nothing was outsourced. I am accustomed to managing communication projects. Without a firm grip on all aspects of the job, things have a way of going off in unintended directions as soon as you let go. That said, I love writing and design. Technical stuff makes me irritable. (OK, my husband said change that to crazy.)

I had some guidance and support from Jim Moushon which encouraged me to tackle the self-publishing. And I am really happy with the result. It will be easier the next time.

Do you plan on doing book signings, interviews, speaking and personal appearances? Where can readers keep up with your personal contacts online?

I will go wherever the opportunity presents itself. Since my name is unknown, people might not be clamoring for my presence, but if anyone looks my way; I will rush in to talk about Life in a Peacock Nest.

Any personal contacts would be covered on my website as well as through Facebook and Twitter.

With your experience creating and designing promotional materials and videos like MySkyForce
, are you planning a book trailer for Life in a Peacock Nest?


Not at the moment. I would love to, but professional production costs are very high.



Author's Book List
Life in a Peacock Nest - Crimes of Greed and Ego are Rarely Punished
From a new storyteller comes a engaging and light-hearted novel. A powerful boss with a Stage 4 case of greed and ego. People eager to crowd into his orb. But, can anyone survive there?

Scarred from growing up in a small town where the children from a clique of wealthy families were always favored, Alan Dravel begins a vengeful search for his own wealth and power. He barges into the technology boom of 1980’s corporate America with an idea. Over his head but never in doubt, he unleashes his greed and ego in a self-serving climb to success which turns destructive.

Alan’s quick thinking, he considers it a special kind of genius, keeps him a step ahead of his failures. He shuns contact with the common herd and disregards the opinions of people who wear rubber-soled shoes, but those are the people he turns to when he needs scapegoats.

With a handsome face, a quick mind and a lack of ethical or moral considerations to restrain him, Alan drags a Kansas farm family, a country church and associates of a high-flying corporation together in his widening web of failures – all while being honored as one of the country’s top business leaders.

Those caught in the slipstream of Alan’s wild ride to power struggle to hang on for the rewards they believe association with Alan can provide. Power and ego prevail as Alan orchestrates the most unimaginable twists and turns to entangle his victims and save himself. Those who survive find justice in the last place they think to look.

Life in a Peacock Nest is a captivating saga that probes the strength and weakness of the human spirit. It is a story about the nature of people, with characters so memorable you won’t want to let them go.


Order the Book From:
Amazon


Author Recommended by: HBSystems Publications
Publisher of ebooks, writing industry blogger and the sponsor of the following blogs:
HBS Author’s Spotlight
Indie Author's Corner
Mystery Reader’s Circle
Plus a NEW Blog, a satire of the New Normal: Spox's Daily Briefing

No comments:

Post a Comment