Friday, November 8, 2013

G.S. Wright - An Author Interview in the HBS Author's Spotlight

Today our blog puts the Spotlight on Author G.S. Wright. He writes Sci-Fi, Fantasy, and Horror novels.



Author Genre: Horror, Fantasy, Science Fiction

Website: G.S. Wright
Twitter: @Garthswright
Goodreads: Check Out Goodreads
Google+: Check Out Google+
Facebook: Check Out Facebook
Pinterest: Check Out Pinterest


Author Description:
G.S. Wright is a horror, sci-fi, and fantasy writer that mixes in the fast-paced action of the thriller novel, bringing you intense fiction guaranteed to keep you on the edge of your seat. Regardless of genre, you'll find absorbing stories that will pull you in with realistic heroes and loathsome villains, and give you chills that will keep you up at night... turning the page.

G.S. Wright is an author in Southern Idaho. He writes. A lot. All the time. Sometimes he watches movies, plays guitar, or sleeps. He has a beautiful wife (that keeps him from starving) and three children that he is failing to raise as ninjas. He also has a zombie survival plan.

Author of the sci-fi thriller Broken Things, and the Dark Fantasy Zombie Apocalypse series Hungry Gods (Book 1, Death Storm, is available now).


SPOTLIGHT Questions and Answers with the Author

Congratulations on your book serial: Spilling Blood. What do you have on the drawing board next? Can you tell us the timeline for its release and give us a little tease?

Thank you! Spilling Blood was a lot of fun to write. For my next project, I am completing book 2 to my Hungry God’s trilogy, titled Death’s Reach. It will be available before the end of the year. It follows the survivors from book 1 through what started as a zombie apocalypse, and now turns into a world of madness. What’s the effect of gods becoming zombies? That is what this book is about.

You have a great following on twitter. How important have your social media relationships been? How did you build your following in your niche? Did you use forums, newsletters and methods like that?

I work on building my social media presence almost daily. However, not so much for me to reach potential readers, but more to allow my readers to reach me. I use my Facebook Page and website to keep readers informed, and I’ve found Twitter to be more interactive. I provide links to my social media through my books, website… everywhere.

You do a lot of book signing, interviews, speaking and personal appearances? When and where is the next place where your readers can see you? Where can they keep up with your personal contacts online?

I try to get out and do as many book signings as I can, primarily throughout Southern Idaho. I am currently scheduling signings for December. I keep a calendar of “tour dates” on my website.

You have great covers. How does your book cover creation process work? Do you hand over the basic theme or do you have more of a hands-on approach? Do you get your readers involved in its development?

For my covers, I am lucky to have two very talented artists to choose from with two different approaches. I give them a summary of the book, share my ideas, and then let them come up with their own vision.

My cover artists are Sherry Baker at paws4thought and Jennifer Pack at Black Cat Studios Design & Photography.

You have written the serial Spilling Blood. Can you tell us if they had an impact on the sales of your novels? Will shorty’s be one of your styles of writing or are they created to give readers a sample of your work?

The Spilling Blood serial is an experiment. I know there are readers who don’t like cliffhangers and serials, but there is a market for it. The advantage of the world of self-publishing is I can cater to both. Like serials? Buy it as a serial. Like the complete novel? You can get it that way too. It’s too soon to tell if it will have an impact on my novels, but I do hope it introduces readers to my work. I have Episode 1 free through almost every digital market.

As far as writing more serials, I have a couple more planned if Spilling Blood is well-received. Regardless, there will be more Seasons of Spilling Blood in the foreseeable future.

What writer support groups do you belong to? Do they help with the writing, marketing and the publishing process?

I belong to three different groups, one for writing, and two for marketing. My writing group is a Facebook group of fast-paced writers. For marketing, I participate in an Indie Promos Facebook group. I am also a member of the Idaho Authors’ Community which helps set up book signings and provides networking with other local authors.

What has been your experience in giving your books away free? Have you been involved in any other type of giveaways and how did that work out? What was your main goal in doing this? Did you run into any obstacles?

I used to participate in Amazon’s KDP Select program, and though I gave away thousands of books, it did not convert to sales. Going forward, I’m keeping Spilling Blood Episode 1 free as an introduction to the series, but by using other channels and not going exclusive. My best success has not come from going free, but by doing $.99 promos. A discounted book benefits from keeping its Ranking after the sale, and keeps the book in front of potential readers. A limited free run returns a book to obscurity shortly after. The only benefit from a short giveaway is gaining reader reviews.

What is your method of getting reviews for your novels? Do you seek professional reviews, use social media or do you rely on your reading audience to supply them? How important is your newsletter to increasing your followers and your reader base?

When I used to do limited free giveaways, I always collected a handful of reviews each time. My number one way to get a review though, is to ask for it. Whenever a reader contacts me to let me know that they enjoyed the book, I always ask for a review. Though I’ve given books away specifically for a review, I don’t seek them out anymore. The more readers I find the more reviews I get, not vice versa.

I like your sidebar of writer information on your author site. How did you come up this concept? How do you feed the information and keep it current.

The sidebar of information is a cool feature of a site called rebelmouse.com. They collect your social media posts and embed it into your website. The rest of it I keep current on my own with Wordpress widgets.

Between your book writing, newsletter, marketing, social media and all the other things that can get in your way, how do you manage your time? Do you have a set schedule or do your sort of play it by ear?

I have a loose set schedule. I start writing after I get the kids to school, and write until they come home. I don’t spend all of that time effectively, but I try to have something to show for it by the end of the day. For marketing, my wife has taken over much of it, freeing me up to focus on writing.



Author's Book List
Spilling Blood - Episodes 1-4 of the Vampire Horror Thriller
SPILLING BLOOD, SEASON 1 (Episodes 1-4, A Vampire Horror Thriller)

Emily Steel is a teenage girl on the verge of breaking up with her boyfriend. She doesn't think the night can get any worse.

But it's about to.

Gnasher is a sadistic vampire, and he's chosen Emily to be his bride. Before she knows it, she's swept into a secret world of bloodthirsty monsters who expect her to fit in, or have her existence extinguished... forever.

SPILLING BLOOD is a thrilling, action-packed roller coaster ride of edge-of-your seat suspense, brutal violence, and monstrous lust.

This book collects Episodes 1 through 4 of the Spilling Blood serial in one complete novel. More seasons are planned.


Order the Book From: Amazon - Barnes and Noble
Death Storm - A Dark Fantasy Zombie Apocalypse (Hungry Gods Book 1
A Dark Fantasy Zombie Apocalypse

A great evil descends upon the kingdom of Medanholm. A necromancer in the service of a fallen god leads an army of undead to extinguish all life. In the village of Briar's End, there are few survivors. They are scattered and hopelessly outnumbered, with dwindling options for sanctuary.

Dorian is a young man that finds himself in the midst of the zombie horde that overwhelms his village. He loses his girlfriend in the chaos as the army of death defeats their greatest champions. With death all about him, he seeks to escape the village and make his way to the countryside where he prays his family still survives.

Hidden away within their mountain temple, the gods are oblivious to the horror on their doorstep...

...and it's coming for them.

Death Storm is book 1 in the Hungry Gods series, a Dark Fantasy Zombie Apocalypse that brings the nightmare of Armageddon to a high fantasy world.


Order the Book From: Amazon - Barnes and Noble
Broken Things
What others are saying about Broken Things:
"It's intense, surprising and keeps you on the edge of your seat." 5 stars "This is a story that will pull you in and won't let go. You will *need* to finish it." 5 stars

"If you like dark, intense, futuristic sci-fi, you will enjoy this book." 4 stars

"Very well written and great plot." 5 stars

The world has changed. People live forever, but children are a thing of the past. To meet the demands of want-to-be parents, children have been replaced with androids… very life-like androids.

Josh, a twelve-year old boy, is hit by a truck, leaving him badly damaged. Instead of paying the outrageous cost to fix him, they dump him in the wilderness.

Broken Things follows Josh and his journey to a home that doesn't want him anymore, through a setting that darkly mirrors our own. Along the way, he must face the fears of abandoned children, from the wilderness to the city streets, and the predators that dwell in both. His only salvation may rest in finding a single person that cares.

If you enjoy science fiction and suspense with many twists and turns, then you'll love Broken Things.


Order the Book From: Amazon - Barnes and Noble
Author Recommended by: HBSystems Publications
Publisher of ebooks, writing industry blogger and the sponsor of the following blogs:
HBS eBook Author’s Corner
HBS Mystery Reader’s Circle

Check out the index of other Spotlight authors. Spotlight Index.

No comments:

Post a Comment